A Message from the Directors

03/24/2020

To the Camp Onas Community:

In the last few weeks, our conversations with families, staff, and our extended community have underscored the importance of … and need for … Camp Onas. The connection, community, routine, and freedom Onas offers feels more important than ever. For many, looking forward to Camp Onas this summer provides a beacon of comfort and hope in a very uncertain time.

We want you to know: We see you, we hear you, and we are doing everything we can to prepare for a safe, healthy, and as-normal-as-possible Camp Onas summer.

That said, many factors will determine the viability of running a camp program this summer, and health and safety will be our primary consideration.

Over the next few weeks, we will continue to monitor developments and recommendations around social distancing and transmission prevention. We are working closely with others in the camping industry (other Camp Directors and Camp Health Providers) to understand what COVID-19 will mean for summer camp programs. We are also using this time to examine and update our existing communicable disease prevention protocol.

While we may not have a firm determination by then, we plan to send all families an update (and post one here) by April 14.

In the meantime, we ask everyone to share our optimism about the summer, with the knowledge that:

  • Camp Onas will only proceed with summer programming if we are confident we can operate safely and responsibly.
  • If we have to cancel your session(s), your deposits and payments will be returned, with the option of applying a credit toward next summer.
  • The only change we are making to our cancellation policy at this time is extending the first cancellation deadline to May 10 (from April 15).

If you have questions or concerns, we would like to hear from you! Please reach out via phone or email.

We are thankful for the entire Camp Onas community, and we look forward to being in touch with more information when we have it.

Warm regards,

Holly & Matt Hecht, Directors

03/17/2020

To the Camp Onas Community:

Each of you and your families are very much in our thoughts as we write this. 

We have been hesitant to send a COVID-19 message out, because we don’t feel that Camp Onas has much of value to add to the conversation at this point in time.  Just like everyone else, we are reading information from the CDC and our local health authorities, and learning new information from one day to the next.

In addition, we are working closely with others in the camping industry (other Camp Directors and Camp Health Providers) to understand how COVID-19 might affect 2020 summer camp operations.  We do not know yet, but we are actively working to gain clarity, and we are hopeful we will have a better understanding in a few weeks.

There are many factors that will determine our next steps and the viability of running a camp program this summer, and health and safety will be a primary concern for us.  

Based on the information we have to-date, we are proceeding with planning as though Onas will be open this summer, as scheduled, and our cancellation policy remains unchanged. 

Please rest assured as you wait to hear more: In the event we have to cancel one or more summer sessions, tuition deposits and payments will be returned or credited to a future summer at the family’s discretion.       

We look forward to being in touch with more information when we have it.

Warm regards,

Holly & Matt